Advice to myself…

Maybe it’s something about being a finalist, or that it’s that time of year, or maybe it’s just me, but it seems that the last month or so, the word ‘applications’ has been the second word anyone utters.

It’s the question you dread being asked but can’t help but nosily and hypocritically try and tease out of your friends – trying to find out everyone’s plans for next year, or after graduation.

I’m writing this so I can almost force myself to see how silly, yet how easy, it is to get caught up in the mind field that is sorting your life after the Durham bubble comes to an end…

I know I don’t want to become an investment banker, or big-time consultant, in fact, I couldn’t think of a less suited job for me! So, why was I finding the need to fill out grad scheme applications for jobs I know I would hate?

It’s almost impossible not to get caught up in the flurry of graduate application schemes, or panic about a possible panic Masters, but I’m here saying this so I can take my own advice. Your life will not end if you don’t get a glitzy job in Canary Wharf, or if you don’t have a 10-year life plan, or even if you don’t have a plan at all.

It’s so easy to get caught up in the chaos of figuring out what happens after Durham, that it’s easy to forget to enjoy your time here whilst you can. You’ve got your whole life to get your career sorted – cut yourself some slack.

Image credit: Nick Boreham from The Bubble’s Photo Drive 

Editor’s picks:

Chichen Itza – the city of water sorcerers 

Two years of the Student Art Prize – now for the third 

The digital world of the girl child 

Far Cry 6: Not quite a revolution 

A time to skim stones