#TryThis: Savoury Oats

The ultimate winter comfort food for the savoury hearted

‘Savoury porridge?!’ I hear you cry but bear with me on this. This was a recent discovery; I tried savoury oats a few months ago, before even thinking about writing this article and loved it. Savoury porridge is becoming more of a staple in top restaurants, often as an alternative to risotto. Think about it…quick, easy, nutritious and deliciously creamy. What’s not to love?

Oats are extraordinary nutritional as they are high in fibre and have a low glycaemic index, which means you will feel fuller for longer and not have that disastrous sugar spike. With less than 150 calories in one cup of oats, they are also great for those who are still trying to shed the Freshers’ fifteen!

Although there are several varieties out there, here is a yummy 15-minute version of savoury porridge you can enjoy at anytime of the day. I guess it could almost be described as a Mediterranean “oaty” risotto as it’s so creamy and warming on a wintry evening, yet also deliciously tangy and fresh.

Mediterranean porridge (Oat risotto)

Ingredients: (Serves 1)

• 1/2 cup of porridge oats
  • 1 cup of vegetable stock
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
  • A handful of olives, sliced
  • A handful of sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup of feta cheese
  • Pepper (to taste)
  • A handful of rocket leaves or fresh spinach (to top with)
  • (Optional) ½ chopped tomato or any other vegetable for added crunch (to top with)

Method:

• Put ½ a tablespoon of olive oil (don’t use it all!) in a small saucepan over low heat.
  • Add the garlic and olives and sauté for approx. 3 minutes or until tender.
  • Add the oats, stock, oregano and pepper to the saucepan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until it is thick and creamy.
  • Add more water if you need to get the desired consistency.
  • Pour into a bowl and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
  • For a fresh finish, top with crumbled feta, sunflower seeds and rocket (or spinach).
  • And voila, a newer, cheaper and healthier risotto!

Mediterranean “oaty” risotto

Note: This recipe is so versatile, you can add whatever you wish to it. Experiment with different vegetables and exciting toppings until you find your favourite combination.

P.S. Follow @TheBubble_Food on Instagram for your dose of all things good & yummy!