This fresh ginger and parsnip soup is a perfect dish for the Spring. On colder days, it can be served with cream to make a heartwarming soup, or without as a light, refreshing soup in warmer weeks.
- 25g butter
- 50g fresh root ginger, peeled and thinly sliced or ginger paste
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 500g parsnips, sliced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- crème fraiche or single cream to serve
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1) Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the ginger and fry gently for 1 minute. Roughly chop the spring onions and add to the pan with the parsnips. Fry gently for 2 minutes.
2) Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes until the parsnips are tender.
3) Transfer the soup to a food processor or blender and process until smooth, or leave the soup in the pan and use a hand-held electric blender.
4) Return the soup to the pan, if necessary, season to taste with salt and pepper and heat through gently for 1 minute, then ladle into soup bowls. Serve topped with a spoonful of crème fraiche or single cream.