For me, I can’t imagine anything more delightful at this time of the year than having friends over to indulge in some warm homemade treats. This apple pie recipe is hassle-free and delicious, with the gooey consistency of the luscious filling juxtaposed superbly with the crisp perfection of the flaky puff pastry. Moreover, to make things even better, you can prepare the pies in advance and heat them up just before serving! Hope you enjoy!
Ingredients: (Makes 4 pies)
- 1 sheet of ready-to-roll puff pastry
- 2 Bramley apples
- 3 tablespoons of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder (add according to your own preference)
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour
- 25g of butter
For the apple compote (filling):
- Peel the apples and dice them into chunks (try to keep them quite big as they can be stewed down).
- Melt the butter into a heavy bottom pan and add caster sugar and a dash of water to make the caramel.
- Once the caramel is light brown in colour, add the diced apple pieces.
- Add the lemon juice, put the lid on and stew it for approx. 5 minutes.
- Dissolve the cornflour into some water and pour the mixture into the apple stew.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until the compote thickens.
- Pour the mixture into a container and leave it to cool.
Now onto the pie!
- When the compote has cooled down, cut the puff pastry into four smaller and equal sheets.
- Place equal amounts of compote at the center of each sheet.
- Fold each sheet in half and using a fork, press the edges together to form a parcel.
- Place the parcels in a freezer for approx. 10 minutes (this achieves a better puff finish) before baking them in a fan oven at 200°C for approx. 25 – 30 minutes.
For more recipes and updates from Jinhao Xie, follow his Instagram @jinlovesfood.
P.S. Follow @TheBubble_Food on Instagram for your dose of all things good & yummy!