Thinking About Your Future

As we settle into the new year, it’s a good time to start thinking about future career aspirations, or what you’ll do when you graduate. Not only is it good to have a sense of where you’re going, but it’ll help you stay focussed on your goals and remind you of what you’re working ultimately working towards. Making informed decisions is incredibly important and taking time to research options now can make sure you know what steps you need to take to get where you want to be. Whether you have a specific career in mind or are still exploring your options, here are some tips for setting your career aspirations and making a plan to achieve them.

Reflect on your passions and interests

Finding what you’re passionate about is incredibly important when thinking about your future. Throughout the course of your degree, you may have explored different subject areas or modules you want to pursue, or at least rule some out you dislike. Maybe you’ve been involved in some society’s or attended a talk or two that inspired you? Having a genuine interest and love for what you do is essential for reaching fulfilment and happiness. Take some time to reflect and think about what is is you’re naturally drawn to and enjoy.

Research careers that align with your passions

Once you have a better understanding of your passions, it’s a good idea to start researching careers that align with them. This can involve looking at job descriptions, reading industry news, and connecting with professionals in your field of interest. The goal is to learn as much as you can about the different career paths available to you. The internet is your best friend as you can research almost any profession and get an idea of what it might be like to have a job you’re considering.

Consider your skills and strengths

Whilst you should obviously consider your passions, it’s important to consider your skills and strengths when setting your career aspirations. What skills do you possess that are in demand in your field of interest? Are there any areas you need to improve in order to achieve your goals? Playing to your strengths is always a good idea, especially if they work in tandem with something you enjoy.

Make a plan

Making a plan is perhaps the most difficult part of planning for your future. Start with considering what needs to be done on a short-term basis, such as applying for jobs, contacting professionals, organising interviews, etc,. More long-term, you may want to think about travel, accommodation, and a larger overarching timeline for your future plans.

Seek guidance and support

Finally, don’t be afraid to seek guidance and support as you work towards your career aspirations. Talk to your professors, SU career services and resources, and peers and professional who may be able to help. You can find a wealth of resources that may can offer valuable insights and advice that can help you stay on track and achieve your goals.

In conclusion, setting your career aspirations early on can help you stay focused and motivated as you work towards your goals. By reflecting on your passions, researching careers, considering your skills, making a plan, and seeking guidance and support, you can set yourself up for success and achieve your dream career.

Image by cottonbro studio on Pexels