Recipe from Thailand: Steamed Banana Cake

Thailand boasts beautiful scenery and banana cake.

I picked up this ‘Steamed Banana Cake’ recipe at a cooking class in Thailand. I was at the Thai Orchid Cookery School in Chiang Mai – a place I would highly recommend, as we got to cook all of the dishes ourselves rather than watching someone do it for us!

We’d already cooked – and eaten – five separate dishes, but once I’d had a mouthful of this, I suddenly found I had room for the whole thing. The ‘pudding hole’ is a miraculous thing (for the unaware, it’s the magic space in your stomach that pudding will always fit into, regardless of how much you’ve already eaten).

Steamed Banana Cake is possibly the most delicious dessert in existence if you’re a fan of banana and cake. I cooked this wrapped in banana leaves, but they’re a little thin on the ground in England, so use a ramekin or tinfoil package.

Method

This serves around 2 people, depending on how much cake you want!

Ingredients

• 2 ripe bananas (peeled and broken into small chunks)
  • 4 tablespoons rice flour (I haven’t tried it, but I’m sure you can use plain flour as a substitute, it’ll just make for a heavier cake)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (plus a bit more for sprinkling purposes)
  • 3 tablespoons dessicated coconut
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup coconut cream

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180˚C/360˚F

2. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl (leave one tablespoon of the coconut out). You don’t have to do sifting of flour for this particular cake, as it doesn’t need to be light and airy.

3. Pour into ramekins/cups made of tinfoil.

4. Sprinkle the leftover coconut and some sugar on top.

5. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.

Enjoy either hot or cold, though once you smell it, you might have trouble waiting for it to cool down!