Recipe: Chocolate Sticky Toffee Pudding

Sticky toffee pudding with a twist.

Who doesn’t love a sticky toffee pudding? If there’s one way to improve this classic dessert, it is to add chocolate, so that’s what I’ve done. The chocolate chunks aren’t the main attraction of this pud, but do add an extra element of interest. If you are a pudding traditionalist, however, you can of course leave them out. Another innovation I’ve made is to soak the dates in tea, not water, before adding to the mixture. Again, this gives a subtle, but not overpowering, taste. It may sound strange, but trust me, the finished product tastes good! This recipe makes a generous amount of sauce. If you have a sweet tooth, you’ll devour it all with the pudding, but if there’s any leftover, the sauce will save for a few days and goes great with ice cream! Just pour into a pan and heat gently until warm, stirring regularly. The pudding can also be reheated, either in the oven on a fairly low temperature, or in the microwave. I’d serve this with crème fraiche, as it provides a good antithesis to the sweetness of the dessert, but it’s also delicious with your choice of either custard, cream or ice cream.

Ingredients

Serves 6–8

• 150g light brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 225g plain flour
  • 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • 300ml boiling water
  • 1 teabag
  • 150g chopped dates
  • 100g dark chocolate
  • 100g butter, softened

For the sauce:

• 275g golden syrup
  • 275gg soft light brown sugar
  • 100g butter
  • 225ml cream
  • Few drops vanilla extract

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease the sides of a 20cm spring-form tin and line the base with a disk of greaseproof paper.

2. Put the water in a pan with the teabag and dates and simmer gently for 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate (either in the microwave or in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water).

4. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until soft. Beat in the eggs one by one, then the melted chocolate.

5. Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder.

6. Then add the dates and soaking liquid and stir into the mixture.

7. Pour into the tin and bake in the oven for about an hour, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.

8. Allow to cool slightly before turning out onto a plate.

9. To make the sauce, put all the ingredients and boil over a high heat for 4–5 minutes, stirring regularly until smooth.

10. Pour some of the sauce over the cake, and serve the rest in a jug to pour over.