Recipe: Chicken Satay

Chicken Satay – a party favourite.

This is a recipe that I picked up on a cookery course in Thailand. Satay sauce is usually associated with Chinese cuisine. It’s perhaps unsurprising that it’s also a popular Thai dish, given that peanuts are used in so many of their dishes.

As this is served on skewers, it makes an ideal starter. It’s also a great addition to a buffet, if you’re having a house party.

There’s also a recipe here for peanut sauce. This can be used as a dip for the skewers, or for finger foods like carrot sticks (far more interesting than houmous!) I would, however, recommend removing the sauce once the alcohol is flowing, if you do serve this at a party, or you may end up with a new fresco on your kitchen wall. I speak from bitter experience.

For the skewers, you’ll need:

• 2 chicken fillets, cut into smallish chunks
  • Skewers (wooden or metal is fine)
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 2 teaspoons condensed milk
  • Pinch of pepper and salt
  • ½ cup coconut cream
  • 2 tablespoons oil (vegetable is best)

Method:

• Mix all the ingredients (obviously not the skewers…) together.

• Allow the chicken to marinate for half an hour at least. (If you can do this part the day before and leave it in the fridge overnight, it will be extra-tasty).

• Skewer the chunks of chicken.

• Grill the skewers, either on a barbecue, or under the kitchen grill – occasionally brushing with the leftover marinade, so the chicken doesn’t get too dry.

• When the chicken is cooked all the way through (there shouldn’t be any pink meat left), remove the skewers and serve.

For the peanut sauce, you’ll need:

• 1 tablespoon cooking oil
  • 1 tablespoon red curry paste
  • ½ cup peanuts (ground very finely – whizz them in a blender, or put them in a sandwich bag and bash them with a rolling pin)
  • 2 teaspoons palm sugar (you can use brown sugar)
  • ½ tablespoon fish sauce
  • ½ cup coconut milk
  • ½ cup coconut cream
  • Juice of one lime

Method:

• Heat the oil and curry paste in a saucepan.

• Add all the other ingredients, and stir well for 3 minutes (or until the sauce is as thick as desired).

Enjoy!