#HealthyTreats: Winter Warmers

“Moist in the middle yet slightly crumbly on the outside!”

Who doesn’t dream about a gooey, sticky, heart-warming dessert in this freezing cold? If you have a sweet tooth like me, you surely do! It took me a while to figure out that living on Sainsbury’s giant cookies was probably not the healthiest nor cheapest idea. Luckily for me, baking is my favourite procrastination activity so I’ve been spending quite a lot of time in the kitchen experimenting with new, college equipment and budget-friendly recipes.

Get ready to treat yourself to these yummy snacks at any time of the day – they are surely better for you than their store-bought versions!

Healthy Chocolate Banana Mugcake (Gluten-free)

Warm delectable bite-sized treats!

There is just something special about eating your dessert out of a mug… No oven or baking tray needed – just your cute little mug and a microwave! This recipe makes 3 small cakes or 2 large ones, and is also free of added sugar, oil and flour. What else could you ask for?

Ingredients (Serves 1):

• 1 banana, mashed
  • 1 egg
  • 5 large dates, pitted
  • 1 cup of dark chocolate, melted
  • ½ cup of unsweetened cacao powder
  • 2 tablespoons of GF (or regular) oats
  • 1 teaspoon of all-natural peanut butter (or any nut butter of your choice)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

Method:

• Blend everything together in an electric mixer or if you don’t have an electric mixer, mix everything with a fork (just make sure that everything is well-combined).
  • Spoon about 1/3 of this lovely mixture into a mug.
  • Place the mug in the microwave on medium heat for approx. 1 minute (depending on your microwave).
  • Take the mug out of the microwave and let it cool for 5 minutes.
  • Dig in and enjoy!

Vegan Apple Cookies

The ideal breakfast on-the-go!

I’ve been trying to create a truly tasty healthy cookie recipe for ages until I somehow ended up mixing together the ingredients below. These cookies are totally satisfying – moist in the middle yet slightly crumbly on the outside. I usually have them for breakfast on-the-go. They are remarkably simple to make, naturally-sweetened and not to mention, vegan! Sounds good, right?

Ingredients (Makes 7–8 cookies):

• 1 juicy apple, grated
  • ½ of a very ripe banana, mashed
  • 2 cups of regular oats
  • ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon of almond, cashew or peanut butter
  • A handful of cashew nuts or walnuts
  • A dash of ground cinnamon

Method:

• Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
  • Mix everything together with a fork until you get a relatively smooth mixture.
  • Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
  • Form little cookie dough balls, then press them down onto the lined tray with a fork.
  • Bake the cookies in the oven for approx. 10–15 minutes (or until they are golden brown).
  • Take them out and leave them to cool for a couple of minutes.
  • Get ready to eat as many as you like!

Note: If you end up eating the whole batch (like I usually do…), it’s still the same as eating a large bowl of porridge, so there’s no need to worry!

For more deliciousness, follow Zsófia’s Instagram @bakingawaytrouble.

P.S. Follow @TheBubble_Food on Instagram for your dose of all things good & yummy!