Food For Those Winter Nights: Savoury Mince

A savoury mince option – Spaghetti Bolognaise.

This recipe is ridiculously easy and cheap, but very hard-working dish – perfect for those increasingly chilly winter evenings!

First I’ll tell you how to make a basic savoury mince, then give you a few serving suggestions and adaptations. The mince mixture will save in the fridge for a few days, and can also be frozen, as can the variations.

Serves 2

• 200g mince beef
  • 1 pepper
  • 1 onion
  • A few small button mushrooms
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 stock cube

1. Fry the mince in a frying pan, stirring occasionally.

2. Chop up the vegetables and add them once the mince begins to brown.

3. Crumble over a stock cube and add some hot water, until you get a consistency you’re happy with. To add more flavour, you might want to also add a few teaspoons of gravy powder/granules.

4. Simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat, adding more water if necessary.

Here’s a few ideas of how to serve your mince…

• With mash potato – you could top with mash potato and some grated cheese, then place under a hot grill for 5 minutes to create an easy Shepherd’s Pie.

• With dumplings: simply mix 100g suet with 100g of plain flour and a little cold water until you have a pliable dough. Roll into golf-ball size rounds, and add to the mince in a ovenproof dish. Bake for 25 minutes at 180°C.

• With Yorkshire puddings.

• With a crumble topping – rub 50g butter into 100g flour and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes at 180°C.

Or you could double your mixture and adapt it to create an additional two servings of another meal. After adding the stock cube, try making one of these favourite dishes, by adding half a can of chopped tomatoes, a table spoon of tomato puree and a few extra ingredients…

• Curry – just add a tablespoon of curry paste (or more or less depending on how hot you like it!)

• Chilli – add a chilli (again, vary according to taste) and a can of kidney beans.

• Bolognaise – add some mixed herbs.