Street Style

Black fur

As winter fast approaches, it seems only appropriate that the focus of this week’s street style instalment be winter attire, and the winter coat. A coat needs to be as practical as it is fashionable, not an easy equilibrium to establish. Whether it be a leather jacket layered over numerous knits, the ever timeless black fur coat synonymous with the age of glamour or a lux camel coat which simply screams effortless chic, there is a style to suit every taste and every weather condition Durham has to offer. For girls, it would appear Topshop, Riverisand and Urban Outfitters are the jaunts to head to when it comes to finding the essential winter piece. I would also highly recommend popping in to the handful of vintage stores neatly tucked away behind the Gates shopping centre, for a vast array of furs for the ladies and waxed barber-esque jackets for the men.

A black fur coat is a classic example of warmth-meets-high fashion. Not just for Hollywood starlets of yester years or the ever so chic women witnessed slinking around après ski. The black fur coat does not look out of place on the streets of Durham. Paired down with perfectly skinny jeans and Chelsea boots, this look is the ultimate mix of old-school glamour and the nonchalant style of youth. Remember to keep the rest of the look simple when opting for any form of fur. Similarly, the more demure cut of the blazer contrasts with the grungy vibe exuded by the dress and ribbed tights combo, again enabling the outfit to retain its youthful vibe.

Fur Coat: Urban Outfitters Renewal Collection

Blazer: Topshop

Paddington Bear

The playfulness of the Paddington Bear-esque duffle coat, with its colourful horn shaped fasteners adds a modern twist to the timeless coat. The soft silhouette created by the coat’s slouchy, over-sized nature contrasts with the harsh clumpy feel of the burgundy creepers, creating an unexpected element to the overall look. This is a perfect example of how to keep any look fresh and fashion forward, whilst at the same time appearing to be marching to your own drum.

Coat: Jewels

Military

Military saw a major revival on the autumn/ winter 12/ 13 catwalks, notably championed by fashion heavy weight Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen’s latest creation, McQ. Again the slouchy nature of the coat contrasts with the strong connotations associated with military wear and emphasises the brilliant effect created by choosing one key piece from the catwalk. By keeping the rest of the outfit cleanly simple the coat is able to work its charm.

Coat: Riverisland

Leather jacket and camel coat

Both the camel coat and leather jacket exude paired down chic, making them both a refreshing contrast to the abundance of garishly coloured coats often seen at this time of year. Whilst the camel coat softens the harsher tones of the black accessories, the leather jacket hardens the more feminine vibe created by the floral top and burgundy skirt. Both outfits aim to balance the masculine with the feminine to create an unexpected twist to each look.

Both jacket and coat: Topshop

All white look

An outfit based on a white palette is extremely difficult to pull off without conjuring up rather horrific images of 90s boy bands. However, this composition may just alter that opinion. The combination of skinny jeans and a plain baggy T-shirt draws reference to the current LA skater vibe, rather than irksome pop videos. The raised collar on the jacket only adds to the outfit’s nonchalant feel. The beat up running shoes provide a subtle pop of colour which brings the looks together perfectly.

$

A perfect example of old meets new. Whilst the velvet jacket was a calculated steal from her grandmother’s wardrobe, the Creepers act as a nod to a recent catwalk trend of chunky shoes, seen most noticeable on Prada’s runway. Teamed with a worn in band T and tousled hair, the look harks back to the era of grunge and makes a nice contrast on the streets of Durham.

Jacket: Grandmother’s