Ping pong bar to open in Durham

An exciting new Durham venue

Wiff Waff, described as a “bar, kitchen and ping pong experience”, will open on Saturday 28 September.

The 3800 sq. ft. ping pong social club on Back Silver Street will feature two fully licensed bars, four table tennis tables and a kitchen, all set over two floors.

It will also host a student club night, Friday Night Ping, with DJs and a 250 capacity nightclub on the ground floor, and a lounge area with table tennis tables upstairs.

The bar will offer an extensive range of drinks – including teapot cocktails for sharing – and draught and bottled beers such as Tuborg and San Miguel.

These will be sold at a mid-level price range, with a pint of Tuborg on a premium night such as Saturday costing £3.40, although this can drop to as little as £2.50 during happy hours which will take place between 5pm and 8pm most weekdays.

The owner, Chris Dobson, explained the concept behind the drinks menu. “We are not social club or Wetherspoons level but neither are we a champagne bar – we have got good products at a good price.”

The kitchen will offer a Mediterranean inspired menu, featuring light bites and sharing platters including pizzas and flatbreads. Deals for students will be available offering discounts on food and drink at around 20%.

Although the table tennis tables will be available for all customers, tournaments will also be held for more serious players, and private lessons offered by a team of in-house coaches. There will be special events for students, and tables can be reserved for college teams.

Mr Dobson explained the concept behind Wiff Waff: “It is very simple: a bar, kitchen and ping pong rooms. It will be welcoming to all types of clientele, and will offer a social experience based on interaction and participation.

“We operate on a number of different trading levels. Wiff Waff can be a place where you come to start your night at around eight or nine o’clock before heading to other places.

“We also target the after work and after university trade when you want to relax, drink, and have a bit of food but you are not looking for a sit down meal.”

Reservations are now being taken for the opening in September and you can visit their website – wiffwaffbars.co.uk – to receive exclusive opening offers and VIP only discounts.

You can also follow then on Twitter @WiffWaffBars, or visit their Facebook page for the latest news and job opportunities.

The new venue will be located in the space previously occupied by Market Vaults nightclub.