Nasser bowled over by wife in Klute

‘Reach for the stars’ – where it all began

Nasser Hussain has revealed that he spent his first date with his wife in Klute.

The former England captain – and a Durham alumnus – spoke of his fond memories of the nightclub in his commentary on the fourth Ashes test, which was held in County Durham.

Hussain also asked his co-commentator, the retired Australian spin bowler Shane Warne, whether he had ever visited the nightclub, referring to it as ‘Klutes’.

The management at Klute sent the following tweet to Hussain, who is still married: “Thanks for saying hello yesterday, pleased we were able to create some happy memories!”

There was a joyous reaction to the news from many Durham students. Charlotte Whistlecroft commented: “I am not surprised, as Klute to me has always been a romantic place. People always thought I was weird going husband hunting at Klute. Well, it just shows how much they know.”

Others were more reserved in their reaction. Christopher Smith praised the cricketer for his loyalty to the nightclub, but was less positive about his own experiences.

“The dedication that Nasser Hussain has shown to Klute is truly remarkable, especially considering he had the unwanted distractions of a degree and a promising career in cricket to contend with. However, I personally have only found broken hearts and drunken regret on the dance floor.”

Hussain’s fellow commentator and Durham old boy, Andrew Strauss, has also given several insights into his time spent at the university. In his book, Testing Times: In Pursuit of the Ashes, he praised the university for helping him to become a professional cricketer, but admitted that he rarely studied for his economics degree.

Other Durham alumni who have played cricket for England include Paul Allott, James Foster and Graeme Fowler. One old girl, Caroline Atkins, was part of a team that retained the Ashes on a tour to Australia in 2008.

Despite repeated attempts by The Bubble to contact Hussain, he was unable to confirm whether he enjoyed quaddies.