Make your university accommodation your home: top tips

Whether you’re living in college or renting a student house, it can be difficult to feel truly at home in your university accommodation. Countless restrictions imposed by your landlord and college may have left your walls bare, and the unknown previous tenants can only be to blame for the unaccountable smell in that cupboard. However, now that you’re well into your first term back, it’s time to tackle all of these issues. Despite only living here during term time, ensuring that your accommodation is pleasant is absolutely essential. You need somewhere cosy to collapse after a full day of lectures, or at least somewhere that will impress your friends at pre-drinks. I have compiled a list of top tips to give all student accommodation a personal touch.

The bedroom

Undoubtedly the most pressing concern for student accommodation is the bed. After all, for many it epitomises the student experience: weekend lie-ins, late-night summative stresses, binge-watching Netflix (and chill). I recommend investing in numerous blankets and a hot water bottle, especially if you’re in cold halls or if you’re trying to save on that heating bill. However, a mattress topper is arguably the most important purchase to make; the thought of how many people have slept on college mattresses is slightly disturbing.

Prioritise the bedroom

Prioritise the bedroom

The furniture

Furniture in student houses tends to comprise of a mismatch of second-hand purchases and an assortment of belongings which have been acquired from previous tenants. If you’re lucky, this furniture will all be in full working order with limited dubious stains. If not, I’d recommend hiding the years of damage under huge throws and even painting what you can. If you’re feeling particularly committed, adding nicer (sparklier) door knobs to cupboards makes a huge difference.

Small improvements make a huge difference to old furniture

The desk

For those who like to work from the comfort of their own home – or for those who are forced to due to last-minute summative panics – a decent desk space is imperative. Make sure that you have a sizeable work top, enough light for reading and plug sockets for charging laptops or operating printers.

Make room for books and work

Make sure you have enough storage for books

Personalise your work space with artistic inspiration

Personalise your workspace with artistic inspiration

The kitchen

The kitchen quickly becomes the busiest (and consequently the messiest) room in shared student houses. Therefore, keeping the work surfaces as bare as possible is advisable; you’ll be grateful for anything that reduces the amount of cleaning required. It is also definitely worth buying a large draining board tray so that you have somewhere to dump your dishes before running to that 9am lecture you’re already late for.

Keep your kitchen clean and cheerful

Keep your kitchen clean and cheerful

The bathroom

Sharing a bathroom is, in my opinion, the true test of friendship. To make the experience a little easier, I’d recommend acquiring a bathroom tidy; having clear separate spaces for everyone’s belongings will (hopefully) prevent any quibbles regarding accidentally helping yourself to your housemate’s shampoo. Another practical addition is a sign for the bathroom indicating when it’s being used. This is especially useful if your lock is dodgy and it helps guide people to the bathroom at house parties.

Learn to share a bathroom without destroying your friendships

Share a bathroom without destroying friendships

The living room

The living room is the place where you and your housemates can all chill together, so personalising it just adds to the fun you’ll be having. Living in an all-girls house, we currently have our own cocktail making table and a handmade “Fergalicious” sign. However, if you’re not that much a fan of the iconic noughties dance track, you might want to have your own variations. A Beer Pong table, games cupboard and even an Xbox are all great additions to your house.

Personalise your house

Personalise your house

A cocktail making kit is always a good idea

Outside

The outside area of most student houses is more of a dumping ground for drunken ‘trophies’, cigarette stubs and empty beer bottles. However, cleaning it up and investing in a barbecue will ensure perfect post-exam celebrations in the summer. Solar lights and some cheap chairs are also very useful when you have lots of people round. If you’re feeling particularly decadent, buying a hot tub for your house will ensure that all your parties achieve legendary status – although if your bills are included, the landlord may not agree.

Either get your own or make friends with someone with a hot tub

Befriend a house with a hot tub

Add your own touch

Whether it be artwork, posters or photographs, this is the ultimate way to personalise your university accommodation and brighten the dingiest of rooms. If your landlord or college don’t let you pin things to the wall, you can use Washi Tape instead. This list could also not be complete without fairy lights – they add a magical element to all rooms of the house.

Invest in a print

Invest in a print

Photographs add a personal touch

Photographs add a personal touch