Inside the Bubble Week 16

Durham’s new river safety measures have attracted praise

• St Chad’s College has appointed a new Principal. Dr Margaret Masson, previous Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor of St Chad’s, has been appointed as the college’s new Principal as of 1 March 2016. Margaret said: “I am delighted to be appointed to this role. I look forward to building on the brilliant legacy of the late Joe Cassidy and leading the College into what promises to be an exciting new period of opportunity.” The appointment has been celebrated by college members and staff alike. Jonathan Blackie, Chair of Governors for the College, was delighted with the appointment, saying “Margaret brings exceptional skills to the position, she understands the collegiate nature of the University, and her appointment has been widely welcomed by both staff and students”.
  • Durham has been widely praised for recent river safety initiatives, an issue close to the hearts of many students due to recent student deaths in the Wear. These include the introduction of the use of breathalysers on pub doors, more efficient taxi and night bus services, and proposed improvements to the safety of the riverside, which are the result of a study by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, including new fences and sufficient lighting.
  • Stronger student housing regulations have been agreed for Durham. After years of tension about the increasing provision of student housing in the city, student accommodation rules are to be developed and tightened in the near future. Durham County Council recently announced an Article 4 direction (a way for local planning authorities to restrict development rights), which, coming into force in September this year, emphasises the need for landlords to apply for planning permission to turn pre-existing homes into houses of multiple occupancy. The possible effects of this are yet to be determined.
  • Durham Postgraduate student Kishva Ambigapathy has been elected as the Chair of the Commonwealth Youth Council, a role which necessitates representing young people’s viewpoints on global issues in 53 Commonwealth countries. The prominent international challenges discussed at the latest Commonwealth Youth Forum held in Malta included climate change, unemployment and terrorism, with Kishva commenting: “emerging threats, violent extremism, shifting political conditions, economic turmoil, and social transformations are combining to heighten the challenges facing the world’s young people. I am grateful to be given the mandate to lead this change, this coming together of hands that will achieve a new order-one that shares a common commitment of building a better world on endless possibilities.”