Experience Durham Leadership Programme: Transforming World-Class Students into World-Class Leaders

The Experience Durham Leadership Programme is accepting applications for 2019/2020. The Leadership Programme is a three-pronged mentoring and personal development that gives students exclusive access to personalised one-to-one mentoring, a bespoke Speaker Series, and free resources and training on leadership theory and practice.

A personalised one-to-one mentoring opportunity

At the heart of the Leadership programme is a mentor/mentee relationship whereby a Durham student leader is matched to an experienced Durham alumnus. Our alumni mentors, from industries ranging from arts to sports to the military, are here to give you personalised support and guidance during your time at Durham, expert career advice and access to networking and career opportunities. This experience can cement lifelong relationships between you and your mentor that will help foster skills and experience to stand you in good stead for future employment.

As well as regularly meeting with your mentor on a one-to-one basis, the Leadership Programme also organises networking dinners and other formal events to give you the chance to meet fellow student leaders and other industry professionals. These events will give you first-hand experience of speaking to senior executives and key individuals in a supportive environment, developing valuable links for your future careers and networking in a corporate setting.

A year-long Speaker Series from industry experts

As part of the Leadership Programme, you will gain access to the Speaker Series, where high-profile Durham Alumni and mentors host share their experience of leadership both at Durham University and during their careers. The Speaker Series is a unique opportunity to gain insights from and network with an industry expert and receive valuable advice and guidance on your future career journey.

Last month, the Programme welcomed Steven Greenhalgh, UK Rights Director of theatre licensing company Samuel French, to discuss leadership in the arts. On Thursday 2nd May, former banking partner for Clifford Chance James Johnson will be sharing his insights on leadership in commercial negotiation.

Bespoke and accredited leadership training

The Leadership Programme provides bespoke and personal leadership training in partnership with accredited trainers and mediators.  Training includes a weekend with a uniformed service, Mediation and Confliction Resolution, team building activities and understanding the role of the Leader within the University.

The Programme also produces exclusive and free printed and online resources related to leadership, skills development, and employability. These include Development Plans for your club, society or team, for yourself and your career, for which you receive ongoing support by your mentor; case studies of leadership situations; further reading; and leadership models and theories.

Want to get involved?

The Programme is open to current leaders or those considering leadership positions in the future. This can include leadership positions within music, sports, volunteering, theatre, JCR, societies or colleges, or extracurricular roles outside the university.

If you want to get involved in the Programme, please do the following:

1. Submit a CV including appropriate contact information.
  2. Stipulate the leadership role you hold or are applying for either within the university body or external.
  3. In no more than 100 words explain why you would be a suitable candidate for the Programme.

Deadline for applications is Friday 12th April 2019. Please send applications to Chantelle Cumming: chantelle.cumming@durham.ac.uk. 

For more updates follow the Programme’s:
Facebook page @durhamleadership
Instagram page @durhamleadership
Twitter page @durham_leaders