Android Users, Assemble!

Apple might be more popular, but Android has its strengths too.

Tech Insider recently released a video discussing all the things a Samsung can do, that an iPhone cannot. This may be a contentious topic for a Durham-based publication, given that the statistic for students owning an embarrassingly vast array of Apple products is probably higher than the statistic for marrying a fellow Dunelmian (a terrifying estimate of 70%. You. Cannot. Escape). That being said, it is about time we had at least a brief look at the debate so far, so we at The Bubble have brought to you some of the Tech Insider reviews in the context of your student lifestyle. We’ve also gathered some crucial data from Durham’s own about their experiences with Samsungs and iPhones.
It has to be said, Tech Insider poses a very good argument for upgrading to a new Samsung Galaxy S7. I hear the disapproving gasps, but hear me out! What follows is a list of things that ditching your IPhone will apparently pay off with:
1. Water resistance – incredible claims have been made that the phone can survive underwater for up to 30 minutes. This is definitely a high priority feature, given the number of eulogies for water logged phone I’ve seen solemnly declared on Facebook. They even show some oddly serene footage of water shooting into the headphone jack, assuring the viewer that you don’t even need to protect the inputs from water damage! So long to the days of mourning after a night out when you’ve mistakenly sat on (or hovered precariously over) the Jimmy Allen’s toilets, only to realise as you turn around that your phone – that had been in your back pocket – now lies in the toilet bowl, reminiscent of that pet goldfish you flushed as a child. Just a heck load more expensive and devastating.
2. Active screen – the screen never turns off. Arguably this isn’t a huge advantage when trying to distract yourself from your phone in exchange for your lecture notes, but it’s a definite bonus when you want to count the hours you’ve been failing to start work for. The iPhone, however, requires a click-swipe-drag process to achieve the same thing with reduced battery loss. How dreadfully inconvenient.
3. Wireless charging – apparently the use of the Samsung base station to charge the phone is even quicker than the old plug in charger. Fast charging of the S6, for example, takes around 1.5 hours until completion. The iPhone 6 plus, in comparison, takes a lengthy 2.915 hours to charge with 1A via its cable according to some sources (https://www.quora.com/How-long-does-the-iPhone-6-take-to-charge) while others claim full charging can take up to 3 hours and 48 minutes! Android: making charging your phone (5 minutes before that 10am lecture you forgot) incrementally easier with each generation. Go humanity!
4. Using your phone to pay for stuff – anyone with a contactless debit card knows the dangers of these ‘fast pay’ technologies hitting the markets. I’m personally clinging desperately onto my primitive Visa, hoping I don’t run rogue in the Tesco reduced section and cut into my overdraft, all thanks to some 40p spring onions. The basic idea is that the new Samsung pay method works with current hardware in stores, whereas the Apple pay requires in-store upgrades for their tech, so ultimately fewer shops are equipped to use that method. Possibly better for a student budget, but less convenient for the snappy payer, and the shop owners who like keeping queues short (we’re looking at you, Flat White Kitchen).
5. Expandable storage – A micro SD card of up to 2000GB can be added on top of your phone storage, meaning you can effectively keep all of your saved snapchats of your double-chinned face with new and improved filters for an indefinite amount of time and not have to worry about running out of space. Banging. The sorry iPhone, however, is stuck with 16GB, 64GB or 128GB. If you remain loyal to your iPhone, it seems like you’re going to have to start paying for Dropbox before those interrailing pictures of yours get deleted.
On top of this, there were some tweaks made to the Samsung camera, meaning your Instagram would never look better (filter or no filter… But who am I really kidding?). Check out the video for some more of their reviews, and comment in if you consider yourself tech savvy enough to counter the Samsung S7’s impressive repertoire.

Student accounts of their Samsung vs iPhone.

The closest thing I’ve had to an iPhone was an iPod (generation _) so I can’t say much about the iPhone. However, having had both a Samsung S2 and an S5, the common denominator for me has been screens more shattered than pre-dissertation third years the week before Easter deadline (sorry guys). Through no real fault of the phone I imagine, they haven’t been great with heights. Samsung – 0, My lack of coordination ~5 and counting. – Van Mildert, 3rd year, Samsung.
I chose an iPhone because I prefer style over substance. – Van Mildert, 4th year, iPhone.
I was told ‘An Apple a day keeps the doctor away’. I’m afraid I took that rather literally and have been buying iPhones daily in an effort to maintain my health. – Van Mildert, 4th year, iPhone.
The buttons are easy to press, and there aren’t too many of them. Also it has Whatsapp – see look, my picture is the dog in a Christmas hat! – A Durham parent, Samsung.
While drying out my iPhone in a bag of rice after it had been through the washing machine, I discovered that the charge port is exactly the right size for a grain of rice to get permanently stuck in there. It didn’t matter in the end, because the phone was very much dead anyway. – iPhone.
I love my iPhone in general. Except Siri – Siri isn’t just unhelpful, but even goes as far as being an inconvenience in itself. Mid-lecture at your 9am, slow reaction times, a room full of your peers and you hear from your bag ‘sorry, I don’t understand’. The comedic timing was on point, though. – iPhone.