Album Review: Opia – Faith In Glory

I first saw Faith In Glory  at a small pub in Bolton around 6 months ago, I instantly fell in love with their stormy, vibrant sound, the way they connected together as a band, and how they looked like they were having the time of their lives on stage the Manchester-based heavy-rock band consists of drummer Ollie, guitarist Brendan, the bassist Aiden and lead singer/guitarist, Jack happen to be brothers. Faith in Glory are currently unsigned – but these guys are seriously ones to watch for the future.

The release of their debut album – “Opia” – has been very much anticipated for me: and I am very pleased to say it did not disappoint. FIG (Faith In Glory) start “Opia” as they mean to go on. The album starts with “Chains,” which jumps in and instantly punches back with fierce guitar riffs, and frantic, electrifying drum parts, complemented by powerful, roaring vocals. The ending of this track literally sends shivers down my spine, due to Jack’s eye-wateringly high, screaming notes. “Chains” is a very cleverly chosen and fantastically appropriate opening track,  

The next track – “Break The Rules” – is my favourite song to see live, so I was very excited to see how this would turn out on the album. Again, I was not disappointed – the vibrant guitar solos, melodic vocals, and fun rebellious lyrics make you want to dive head-first into the nearest mosh pit. The slow-tempo track “Young,” follows it sees their bassist come into his own the song kicks off with an incredibly catchy bassline that is later  echoed by the guitars altogether creating a fantastic rhythm.

I instantly fell in love with their stormy, vibrant sound.

The verses on “Rebellion” are sung by Aiden the bassist, whilst Jack fills in by singing the chorus parts: the two vocals complement each other very well, as they range from Aiden’s earthy, gritty tones to Jack’s more melodic sound. When placed together they form a range of incredible harmonies. The lyrics on this track are reflected wholly  by the angst and fury  created instrumentally – all in all, this song kind of makes me want to go tear sh*t up.

For me, the highlight of the penultimate track – “Trade All Others” –  is Ollie’s frenzied, energetic drumming, along with what is possible my favourite instrumental mid-section on the entire album: the guitar and bass notes are eerie and haunting to start with, they then culminate with this incredible thrash sound that I absolutely love.

My absolute favourite track has got to be “This Hell”: despite it being the only slow track on the record it does not feel out of place. The track still holds the signature FIG guitar solos and strong, powerful vocals that I know and love, the track really is something else – and I’m not ashamed to say that I have been moved to tears by the raw, heartfelt emotion that shines through in Jack’s vocals. This has happened on more than one occasion, which is all well and good, up until I find myself sobbing into my shopping trolley in the middle of Aldi (not a good look)!

Opia is available now on Spotify, iTunes and Google Play, and I would whole-heartedly recommend it to any fans of rock or heavy metal. They are for fans of Alter Bridge, Black Stone Cherry and Killswitch Engage – or just anyone who can truly appreciate dirty basslines and wailing guitar riffs.

Mancunian Heavy Rock Band Faith in Glory. Photo taken by Keith Vaughton

Mancunian Heavy Rock Band Faith in Glory.
Photo taken by Keith Vaughton