What’s on in Michaelmas Term?

With fresher’s week over for another year and the reality of 9am lectures on a hangover starting to kick in, there’s no time like the present to explore Durham’s literary scene for a relaxed outing that won’t kill your brain cells and may actually make you feel a little bit more educated.

Many students and locals alike see the prestigious Durham Book Festival as the highlight of the town’s literary calendar, and with authors including Pat Barker and Michael Morpurgo gracing this year’s event, it’s certainly special. But if you missed it, fear not, there are plenty more dates for writers and readers alike to pencil into their diaries this term…

Ushaw Lecture Series with Daniel Mulhall, Ushaw College, Durham

18/10/16, 5:30pm

FREE, contact Hannah.thomas2@durham.ac.uk.

Come along and enjoy a drinks reception followed by a lecture by Daniel Mulhall, Irish ambassador to the UK, on ‘Confluence of Dreams: W.B Yeats, George Russell and the Easter Rising’.

10th Annual History of the Book Lecture 2016: The Colours of Manuscripts: From Concept to Exhibition, Learning Centre, Palace Green Library

19/10/16, 5:30pm

FREE, visit admin.imems@durham.ac.uk

Palace Green lays host to

Palace Green Library plays host to Dr Stella Panayatova

The Institute of Medieval and Early Modern Studies and Durham’s very own Department of History join forces to host a lecture by Dr Stella Panayatova. Followed by a drinks reception, the lecture promises a fascinating insight into the history of the book.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them launch, Waterstones, Durham

18/11/16, 10pm

FREE

The midnight launch party for JK Rowling’s new book is set to be a night of fun for Potter fans, with a raffle, competition and refreshments on offer for Durham’s Potter fans.

Poetry Jam, Wadding Street Centre, Durham

03/11/16, 7pm

FREE

With three poets performing their work, this monthly event is open to the public with refreshments on offer. Come along for a quirky night out listening to the North East’s budding poets or get involved yourself!

Book Reading Event, St Cuthbert’s Catholic Chaplaincy, Durham

05/12/16, 5pm

FREE, Contact Jane Lidstone, 0191 334 1656

What promises to be an atmospheric event hosts Christopher Villiers, reading from ‘Sonnets from the Spirit. Organised by the Centre for Catholic Studies, the event is followed by a drinks reception and welcomes budding writers and theologists.