Show of the Week: Will’s Acoustic Hour

This week Purple Radio’s ‘Show of the Week’ recommends ‘Will’s Acoustic Hour’. Presenter Will Lavelle brings you a whole hour of chilled back acoustic music to help you forget about the all the stress of deadlines. The show specialises entirely in the best of acoustic music, featuring upcoming stars and old classics. Tune in for nothing but smooth and simple relaxing rhythms and even live slots by some of Durham University’s finest musicians!

We caught up with Will to tell us a little more about his show:

Why did you decided to base your show on acoustic music?

I’ve always loved acoustic music, and found it really helps you relax after a hard day. Whether you’re doing work, need cheering up or just fancy lying down and taking a deep breath I find it helps pretty much whatever mood you’re in. I wanted to do a show which people could just have on in the background while they’re bored on a Monday evening, something that takes no effort to listen to whatsoever.

Who are your favourite acoustic artists or live acts?

I’ve always loved the more famous names like Jack Johnson, Bon Iver and Jason Mraz, but some other perhaps some less well known names such as Newton Faulkner and Joshua Radin are also massive favourites of mine.

Do you have any recommendations on up and coming bands?

There’s a lot of acoustic music breaking into the charts at the moment, but I’m especially looking forward to seeing much more of Ben Howard, Michael Kiwanuka and Benjamin Francis Leftwich; their music all just seems so effortless and soulful it’s hard not to smile.

Make sure to tune in Mondays at 20:00 to catch ‘Will’s Acoustic Hour’.