Our Most Anticipated Games of 2016 (Part 1)

It’s going to be a good year.

2016 is shaping up to be a great year for gaming, with many titles already announced which we are very excited about here at the Bubble. Here are a few of our top picks for the coming months:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Simeon)

An expansive and beautiful sci-fi world.

I’ll be honest, I don’t know too much about what’s been announced regarding Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I want to play it with as little knowledge about it beforehand as possible so it’s fresh. What I can say however, is that Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of my favourite games ever. With multiple methods of completing objectives (you can complete the game killing no-one other than the bosses, or you can go in guns blazing), it is a game I completed many times. Its distinctive black and gold visual style helped make the game look amazing and I can still remember parts of the soundtrack, years after last playing it. I cannot wait to jump back into the world of Deus Ex.

Dirt Rally: Legend Edition (Simeon)

Visceral rally racing.

I really like racing games. For the majority of the time I’ve been gaming I’ve always liked to have at least one good racer I could consistently kill a few hours on. But having almost exclusively gamed on my PS4 for two-and-a-bit years, I’m gutted to say I still haven’t found a good racing game on it. Dirt was one of my favourite series on PS3 and this one seems to be taking the series to a whole new level, promising to be more realistic than ever. I’m slightly cheating including this on my list – it was released for PC about 6 weeks ago (to excellent reviews I might add) – but I’m just excited to finally have (hopefully) a racing game on my PS4 I can keep coming back to.

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (Simeon)

The peak of action-adventure gaming.

Naughty Dog (the studio behind Uncharted) manage to consistently set the benchmark of showing what Sony’s consoles are graphically capable of. Uncharted 2 set a new standard for graphics on the PS3, as did The Last of Us four years later. But although immediately striking, there is so much more to their games than pretty graphics. The improvements made by Naughty Dog in terms of storytelling from the first Uncharted to The Last of Us (my 2013 game of the year) have been vast. If this can be built upon in Uncharted 4, it could be one of the best stories on PS4. Hopefully some of the gameplay improvements made in The Last of Us, such as the stealth mechanics and scavenging, can be implemented in too. Either way, with Naught Dog’s track record, I’m sure this will be one of the best games of the year.

Horizon: Zero Dawn (Justin)

Giant robot dinosaurs = guaranteed fun.

In a post-apocalyptic wasteland, human survivors use stone-age weapons to fight against huge robot dinosaurs. It may sound like a ten-year-old’s wet dream, but the realisation of bizarre juvenile fantasies is what videogames are all about! This mysterious title could easily prove to be guilty of prioritising style over substance, but at this stage the bold premise is enough to provoke serious interest.

Mass Effect: Andromeda (Justin)

Do we know anything about this game? No, not really. Will it be fantastic? Probably. This sci-fi RPG series has changed enormously with each instalment, and it has always caused controversy, alienating some fans while pleasing others. Andromeda is sure to delight some people, but the real question is whether BioWare can finally achieve a perfect balance of visceral action gameplay and in-depth RPG elements, while also introducing some totally new features and a story to rival Commander Shepard’s, as we would expect from a reboot set in a new galaxy.

Dark Souls III (Justin)

The gloriously unforgiving franchise makes its return hot on the heels of From Software’s fantastic Bloodborne . If the atmospheric quality and the gameplay improvements of that game are anything to go by, then the new Dark Souls will continue the studio’s excellent streak of releases while making enough adjustments to avoid the danger of allowing things to become stale.

Crackdown 3 (Justin)

The long-awaited third instalment in one of the most entertaining open-world franchises around will have the usual single-player experience of a futuristic city in which the player must overcome rampant organised crime with incredible tools of lawful destruction. However, the online experience is where this game will really stand out. By using the power of cloud computing, the capabilities of the Xbox One will be amplified many times over, transforming it into a machine that is able to deal with ridiculously complicated in-game physics. This allows every building in the metropolis to be fully destructible, breaking apart and collapsing exactly how they would in reality. There are no gameplay images available (hence the lack of one here), but if you want to fully understand the technological implications, check out the press demo, and prepare to be blown away.

Those are just a few of the most interesting releases to expect in 2016. In fact, there are simply too many titles to include in one article, so expect to see another set of our choices very soon.