#TryThis: Vegan Orange Cake

Served warm with orange syrup, crushed almonds & coconut ice cream

I’ve always wanted to try to bake something that tastes just like an orange but with the same indulgence as a slice of cake, and after some experimenting, at last, I’ve succeeded!

The original recipe contained seven eggs – however I wanted to make it vegan-friendly so that all of my friends could enjoy it. With this in mind, I consulted some of my vegan baker friends who suggested for me to omit the eggs, and although I was initially quite sceptical about how the finished product will end up. To my surprise, it not only worked but also tastes oh-so-good! Below is my adapted recipe for a wonderful tangy indulgent yet vegan cake!

Ingredients (Makes 1 whole cake):

• 2 large oranges, peeled
  • 1 lemon, both the zest and juice
  • 1 tablespoon of oil
  • 1 scant tablespoon of baking powder
  • 100g of rice flour
  • 140g of polenta flour (plus 1–2 tablespoons for lining the tin)
  • 200g of almond flour
  • 300g of golden caster sugar

Method:

• In a pot of water, boil both of the oranges with the lid on for approx. 1 hour (or until squidgy).
  • Drain and leave to cool.
  • In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients together and mix well.
  • Using a blender, blitz the oranges and then add the lemon juice and zest along with the sugar.
  • Next, add in the dry ingredients and mix (be careful not to over mix!)
  • Spray a cake tin with some oil (or lightly coat with coconut oil) and then dust with some polenta flour.
  • Pour the mix into the cake tin.
  • Bake at 160C for approx.15 minutes and then bake at 140C for another 30–45 minutes (or until the skewer comes out clean.)
  • Serve it warm with some orange (or any citrus) syrup, crushed almonds and coconut ice cream, or alternatively, let it cool and serve with any desired toppings – think pistachios, cacao nibs or warm maple syrup!
  • Enjoy!

P.S. Follow @TheBubble_Food on Instagram for your dose of all things good & yummy!