#TheDurhamPantry: Fashionable Celeriac

Don’t judge a vegetable by its appearance!

‘Fashion Show’ season has begun but it is not only our wardrobes having a revamp. It is time for some new ingredients to steal the show in the kitchen and this week we are having a love affair with celeriac. This is the unsung hero of root vegetables but will soon gain recognition as the ‘Stella McCartney’ of the food world. Although it’s certainly not a looker with its thick knobbly skin, once prepared, its tangy flavour will bring a post-Billy B supper alive. The only downfall may be the fight you have with the root in preparing it. Don’t worry about losing a quarter or so of it as you top and tail in attempting to peel it like a potato…

Not only does celeriac reap some rewards in the health department (42 calories in a cup of celeriac compared to 118 in the same amount of potato) but it is also wonderful for your bank account – the average price of one celeriac in Tesco is £1.06 and provides enough for a couple of meals if you are only cooking for one. However if you want to save even more of your pocket money, try Greengrocers on North Road to exploit their ludicrously cheap prices.

If you are still not sold on this wonder yet, take a look at the multitude of things you can do with it, whether you are looking for a simple supper or on-the-go library lunch.

Salmon with Mustardy Celeriac Mash

Served with a side of fresh mange-tout for the extra veg kick!

Ingredients (Serves 2):

Note: All of these are rough amounts as this is not recipe that requires rigorous weighing

• 2 salmon fillets
  • Approx. 700g of celeriac (one celeriac fed the two of us generously)
  • 2 teaspoons of wholegrain mustard
  • 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
  • 2–3 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 100g spinach leaves
  • Salt and pepper, to season
  • A pinch of sugar

Method:

For the salmon:

• In a lined tin, drizzle the salmon lightly with olive oil, seasoning with salt and pepper.
  • Place the tin in the oven to bake at 180C for approx. 15 minutes (or until cooked to your own preference).

For the mash:

• Chop and peel the celeriac (watch out for the thick skin), you’ll need to use a sharp knife and a lot of willpower!
  • Place chunks of the vegetable in a pan with cold water to cover, add salt and bring to the boil.
  • Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 12–15 minutes until soft.
  • To make the celeriac dressing, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper and one tablespoon of olive oil.
  • When it’s ready, drain the celeriac, reserving one tablespoon of cooking water, and return the celeriac back into the pan.
  • Mash until fairly smooth (it may look slightly rough at the beginning but it will turn into a silky consistency).
  • Add the spinach, stirring occasionally over a low heat and cover the pan with a lid for approx. a minute (or until wilted).
  • Stir in about half of the mustard dressing into the mash, and season to taste.
  • To serve, spoon the mash onto warm plates and top each with a fillet and a drizzle of the leftover dressing.
  • Note: We enjoyed ours with a side of fresh mange-tout for the extra veg kick.
  • Enjoy!

Alternatively, you can spice up your daily Billy B tupperware salad with this BBC goodfood Celeriac salad with Parmesan, walnuts and parsley: Simply peel and chop up a raw celeriac and add to any of your favourite combinations for a tasty lunchtime treat!

For a more traditional take on this vegetable try this Celeriac remoulade by BBC goodfood. This posh coleslaw will sex up your standard ham sandwich or impress your dinner party guests as a starter.

Now that you are fully converted to the passionate love of celeriac, we challenge you to test out Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s Celeriac ice cream. This truly transforms this ugly root vegetable into a smooth, velvety luxury.

We hope you take our advice, potatoes are so last season.

P.S. Follow @TheBubble_Food on Instagram for your dose of all things good & yummy!