The Barking Baker: A Gluten-Free Treat

Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake

…great with lots of cream

This week is “healthy” week on The Bubble. Although I realise this is by no means one of your “five a day”, it is gluten-free. This is important because I think that people with gluten (in a nutshell: wheat) intolerances are often left a bit out of the picture when it comes to baking – cake and cookies are mostly flour.

I have always thought that gluten-free stuff is a bit like (this is going to be an awful simile) a tyre without air – arguably operational but just not quite like the “real deal”! I am, however, pleased to announce that this cake is divine. Ravi, one of my housemates, does not really like cake but he was a big fan of this. It uses fewer ingredients (so it is cheaper to make #student) but tastes amazing.

If you need to do a show-stopper cake for a party I would suggest this one. It is more gooey than normal cake, tastes a bit like brownie and would be fantastic with lots of cream. Enjoy!

Ingredients

Time: 1hr 10 mins

5 eggs

200g butter

200g sugar

200g milk chocolate

Method

Melt the chocolate and butter over boiling water (this is called a “bain marie”).

Separate the eggs into two bowls – one for the egg white, one for the yolk.

Whisk the egg whites until they have hard peaks then gradually add 100g sugar, whisking all the time. This gives it a shiny sheen.

Wash your whisk. Now whisk the remaining sugar and egg yolks until creamy and thick. Do this for a good 5 mins.

Now pour the slightly cooled chocolate into the egg yolk mix and gently stir with a wooden spoon until combined – it makes some pretty funky patterns in the process!

Fold in the egg white with a metal spoon. If you find it doesn’t quite fit, just pour it into the larger bowl once the majority of the egg white has been added.

Pour into a baking tin lined with baking paper and cook for 40 mins at 170, covering with tin foil when it has browned on top (about 20 mins in).

Fab.

Here is the link to this recipe (and many more..!) on the Barking Baking website: http://www.barkingbaking.com/latest-antics/flourless-chocolate-cake-gluten-free: