Get Creative With Leftovers

Spice up your leftovers…

I’d like to bet my student loan that I was not the only student packed off back to Durham with a few portions of turkey, which had remained lurking in the freezer after Christmas. Was my mother really kindly thinking of saving me a little money or was she trying to shunt the leftovers on to someone else? Whatever the truth, whilst we all love our Christmas dinner, and perhaps some Boxing Day turkey sandwiches, it can be difficult to find imaginative ways of eating the remainders.

Here’s where this dish, which can be on the table in less than 15 minutes, comes in. You can, of course, also buy turkey steaks or fillets if you don’t have any leftovers; they are a good cheaper option to chicken. Likewise, this recipe can be adapted for vegetarians by using a larger quantity of mixed mushrooms and vegetable stock powder.

This stroganoff is beautifully creamy, so you may be shocked to discover that, if you use reduced-fat crème fraiche like I do, it is also low in fat and calories, so perfect for those of us repenting for our festive indulgence. The turkey turns adds a delicious flavour to the sauce, which in turn masks any dryness in the meat.

Ingredients

Serves 2

• Good sized portion of turkey leftovers
  • Handful of button mushrooms (adjust according to how much turkey you have left!)
  • 1 small onion
  • Small glass white wine
  • 1tsp English mustard
  • 1 chicken oxo cube
  • 4 tbsp crème fraiche

Method

1. Chop the onion and fry in a little oil.

2. Wash and chop the mushrooms, adding with the turkey to the onion after 2 minutes of cooking.

3. Continue to fry until the vegetables have softened and are beginning to colour, then add the mustard, crumbled stock cube and wine.

4. Allow to simmer for five minutes, letting the wine reduce. Add a little water if necessary.

5. Stir in the crème fraiche and heat through gently, without allowing to boil.

6. Serve with rice. If you put this on when adding the wine etc, both components should be ready to serve at the same time.