Union to hold accommodation fees consultation

The DSU are taking action after another above inflation increase in accommodation fees

Durham Students’ Union is holding a consultation meeting on Tuesday 2nd February at 6PM in the Geography building room W103, aimed at gathering students’ opinions on the rise in accommodation fees planned for next year. The Union is emphasising the importance of students taking part in the consultation.

A well-attended meeting will put pressure on University senior management to act, with Vice-Chancellor Professor Stuart Corbridge’s statement during last term emphasising the need for “active involvement of students in the development of our new Accommodation Strategy”. The Union agreed to hold the discussion after protests such as the Funeral for Accessible Education held last term. The DSU stated: “following our discussions and recent actions of students via protests and demonstrations, the University have agreed to consult with students on accommodation fees.”

The evidence gained from the meeting will form part of the evidence that the DSU presents to senior University figures on accommodation fees.

A statement from the DSU read: “The University have invited us to hold a zone meeting about accommodation fees and to invite all students to attend this. We would like as many of you as possible to attend this meeting so we can gather opinions widely from students from all backgrounds.”