Summon your knick-knacks! Antiques Roadshow comes to Durham

The popular BBC One show invites members of the public
to bring along their antiques

Having provided the filming location for BBC detective drama George Gently, Durham City is no stranger to television stardom.

However, this prestigious record could be eclipsed next Thursday, 4th September, when Fiona Bruce and the team from Antiques Roadshow come to film an episode in the cathedral.

Some of Britain’s leading antiques and fine arts specialists will be on hand to offer free advice and valuations to visitors. So, if you have any special objects – or can borrow some off family members – you could be in luck.

During the last series the Roadshow unearthed some amazing finds, from memorabilia bought from the last survivor of the Titanic, to a teapot owned by Nelson.

Admittedly, the chance of students owning anything valuable is slim, so instead you can take advantage of the free entry, which runs from 9:30am until 4:30pm.

Presenter, Fiona Bruce, said: “This will be my 7th year on the Antiques Roadshow and I still feel so lucky to be presenting the programme.

“Every week is different; a new location and thousands of new visitors. The only constant is the pleasure of the unexpected – we never know what will turn up, from the most fabulous Faberge to the most humble object with a riveting story…’

Series Editor, Simon Shaw, said: “We love meeting our viewers at Antiques Roadshows. And so many people tell us how much they enjoy the experience of meeting Fiona and the experts and seeing how the show is made.

“And, even 37 years later, the magic formula of surprising some lucky guests with exciting news about their treasure seems to come true. So join us… it just might be your day.”