Inside the Bubble Week 18

Street trading will be coming to Framwellgate Bridge soon.

A teenager travelling between Durham and Newcastle has been sexually assaulted. The 15 year-old girl was travelling on the number 21 bus when she was inappropriately touched by an unidentified man. The police, who have released CCTV footage of a man they would like to speak to in connection with the assault, are asking for public assistance in their enquiries. Anyone with information should call 101 and quote the reference number 1033 19/02/16.
Shaheen’s Indian Restaurant has lost its alcohol licence after a ‘hot curry’ social held by a university rugby team. The restaurant came under criticism for allowing students to bring their own alcohol onto the premises and for encouraging them to eat curry outside on the street because it would make them vomit. The licensee of the restaurant, who has since removed herself from that position, spoon fed hot curry to team members in a ‘hottest curry’ competition. Police officers and staff from Lebaneat, the Lebanese restaurant next door to Shaheen’s, were reportedly left to clean up a street covered in vomit and urine.
Councillors have approved street vending on Framwellgate and Elvet Bridges. The decision follows a campaign by the Business Improvement District, which hopes it will improve struggling business in Durham’s city centre. The bridges could be used by school fetes and a potential Durham Food Festival as well as street traders. In his report, Councillor Terry Collins recommended that “due account must be given to the potential safety aspects”, responding to fears that stalls could make it difficult for ambulances to reach the peninsula or impact river safety by making it possible for drunken partygoers to climb over the bridges’ balustrades.
DUCK held their annual duck race in the River Wear. More than 1,700 rubber ducks were sponsored for £1 each and 10,000 dropped into the river by a digger to race from Elvet Bridge to Kingsgate Bridge. The event was in aid of children with special educational needs at Durham Trinity School. Duck number 1613, sponsored by Jessica Murphy, won first prize and she receives £400.
Instep held their annual dance show this weekend. The show ‘Insteption’ featured dances from genres as diverse as K-pop, Ballet and Bollywood. An estimated 150 audience members turned up on both nights. President Lucy Wright proclaimed herself “incredibly proud of what our society has achieved” and thanked the teachers and members for putting on a great show.