EXCLUSIVE: Lord Adonis encourages Durham students to consider a career in social work

Lord Adonis (right) being interviewed by BBC Radio Bristol

Andrew Adonis, a life peer in the House of Lords, is urging Durham students to consider social work as a career in an exclusive interview with The Bubble published today (Monday 17 November).

The Labour politician, who was Minister for Schools and Minister for Transport under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, is speaking in support of Frontline – a scheme which gives graduates a fast-track route into social work.

Follow this link to the interview.

He gave vital political backing to John MacAlister, the founder and chief executive of Frontline, and has continued to play a key role in the organisation. The large number of graduates applying to the programme has propelled it into the Times Top 100 graduate employers.

Lord Adonis tells The Bubble: “Social work needs to attract a good share of the most able graduates. In the past the profession failed to do so. This is partly because there were not equivalent graduate schemes in comparison to those offered by the leading private sector employers.

“Frontline puts this right. I hope that Durham students and post-graduates will seriously consider applying to Frontline as it offers an excellent combination of intellectual and social challenge.”

Don’t miss the full interview, published today (Monday 17 November).