The Movember Foundation: reducing premature death in men

So, it’s now December and the Christmas festivities are in full swing. But, if you cast your minds back a few weeks or so to November, there’s no doubt your friends, dad, brother, granddad all relished the opportunity to display their impressive (or not so impressive) facial hair for one month only and all in the name of charity. But what do you actually know about the Movember Foundation, who aim to reduce premature deaths in men by raising awareness about testicular cancer, prostate cancer, mental health and suicide prevention?

Since its humble beginnings in 2003, the Movember Foundation has been committed to preventing premature deaths in men. To date they have raised more than £443 million to fund more than 1200 research projects into the leading causes of early death in men.

5146819681_b1ae7e88ca

Testicular cancer is the most common form of cancer in men under 40 and prostate cancer kills 35 men every hour. The Movember Foundation are doing everything in their power to reduce the number of men suffering from testicular and prostate cancer. In fact, the Foundation aim to halve the number of men dying from testicular and prostate cancer by 2030 as well as halving the number of men who are suffering serious, life-altering side effects from receiving treatment.

Men’s mental health and suicide prevention is a topical issue at the moment. Globally, a man dies from suicide every minute and ¾ victims of suicide are men. Men are often ridiculed or not taken seriously when talking about their mental health. The Movember Foundation aim to reduce the number of male deaths from suicide by 25% by 2030 through investing in education and vital services with the aim of creating a world where men are able to be open and honest about their state of mind.

The Movember Foundation are independent of government funding in order to invest more quickly and challenge the ‘status quo’, which is why donations are key to their success. DUCK recently raised £1600 for the foundation from the combined efforts of a charity touch ruby game and the wild(ly successful) Disco DUCK night – a very impressive feat!

Remember, these issues affect men all year round. Movember is for life, not just for November.

To find out more about the Movember Foundation, and for information on how to donate, visit their website at https://uk.movember.com/?home.