Religious Highlights in Durham

A brief look at the highlights of the spiritual life of Durham….

Christian Union Main Event Launch or “CUC”

This event is to launch the Christian Union’s annual “Main Event” week which runs in February. The evening is promised to provide information on “Main Event” week as well as an opportunity to “sing praises to God, hear testimonies of how God has saved people in previous Main Events and hear fantastic teaching from John 17.”

It runs from 7.20 pm to 9pm in CG93.

St Cuthbert’s Society Fellows’ Lecture 2010

“Dawkins, Hawking & God: the dialogue of science and religion in the public arena”.

The speaker will be Revd Dr David Wilkinson, Principal of St John’s College. On at the Rosemary Cramp Lecture Theatre CLC Monday 29th November 2010 at 7.30 pm, admission is free.

If you are interested in the relationship between science and God the University Catholic Society is running a series of talks on science and faith. Next week will be the 4th session at 7pm in the Parish Room of St. Cuthbert’s Catholic Church (opposite the court).

Durham University Islamic Society offers a mix of sports, prayer and study on a weekly basis; late night on Wednesdays there is a chance to study Arabic at the Kepier Mosque on Old Elvet, Juama prayer runs every Friday at 1.15 pm and on Saturdays members take to Maiden Castle for a kick about from 3.45 to 5 pm.

Visit www.duisoc.com for more information on any of this.

Faith & Finance: “What my faith says about the recession and budget cuts”

A Public Address by Prof. Habib Ahmed and Prof. Rodney Wilson

Organised by the Durham University Chaplaincy and the Department of Theology and Religion, this event takes another look at the controversial and highly “student-relevant” issue of budget cuts – it will be refreshing to hear a perspective not based primarily on the ins and outs of the economics…

The Old Library, Grey College at 7.30 pm on Tuesday 23rd November

Free entry and refreshments provided from 7.

“Believing in Change – Preventing Re-offending”

Demonstrating the socially engaged side to religion is the Cathedral’s event on Saturday 20th November 9.30 am–1.00 pm. This presentation is part of Prisons Week Symposium with (amongst others) visiting speaker Mike Kavanagh (Anglican Advisor to the National Offender Management Service).

Admission is free though please e-mail events@durhamcathedral.co.uk to confirm attendance.

Kick start your festive season with carol singing at the Advent Processions on the 27th and 28th of November starting at 7.30 at the Cathedral For further festivities try going to the Elvet Methodist Church’s Christmas Fayre on Saturday November 20th or St Nic’s Tree Lighting Service in the Market Square on Sunday 21st November.

And to round up this meander around the spiritual life of Durham I turn to those who uphold the secular… The Durham University Humanist Society is promoting the DUS weekly debate which is entitled this week “This House has no faith in atheism“.

Speaking for the proposition are Paul Woolley (Director of Theos, the public theology thinktank, and a parliamentary researcher) and Malcolm Guite (Priest, chaplain of Girton College, Cambridge, and author of various essays and articles on Christianity), whilst speaking for the opposition are Professor Richard Norman (Vice-President of the British Humanist Association) and Chris Worfolk (Founder of the Chris Worfolk Foundation, a humanist charity).

Sure to be controversial, this event will hopefully produce some fiery floor speeches and strong reactions. For further thought take a look at the fantastic article in the DUS section of The Bubble!