Trooping The Colour – DUCB and DUBB join forces for a free concert!

On the 16th of November three great bands unite at the Elvet Methodist Church for a toe-tapping evening of music including band classics, cheesy show tunes, and pop arrangements. The Band of the Royal Armoured Corps will be joined by the university brass band and concert band for their free concert. Each band will preform a small catalogue of music before coming together for a massed bands spectacular.

trooping the colour

The Band of The Royal Armoured Corps formed on 1st April 2014. They support military and civilian events within the UK and overseas. Since its formation the Band has performed in Mainland Europe, Cyprus, The Falkland Islands and Afghanistan. It is one of 22 Regular Army Bands of The Corps of Army Music and succeeds the Bands of the Heavy and Light Cavalry. The Band represents the regiments of The Royal Armoured Corps which include the Hussar, Dragoon, Lancer and Tank Regiments of the British Army. They happen to be based in Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire, the Band is an amalgamation of the Heavy Cavalry and Cambrai Band and the Light Cavalry Band and consists of 35 full-time, professional musicians who can perform within a variety of ensembles ranging from a traditional military marching band to a jazz quintet the band consequently has a number of diverse ensembles some of which will be on display this evening.

One of the Band’s main capabilities is its Big Band which regularly features in concert settings and allows audiences to see a military band in a different light. Along with instrumental soloists, the Big Band utilises vocalists from within the Band to perform classic standards and more contemporary chart songs. The Band of the Royal Armoured Corps appears by kind permission of Colonel Guy Deacon, CRAC.

rac-band-10

Durham University Concert Band is a popular non-auditioning ensemble open to all brass, woodwind and percussion players. They aim combine high standards of musicianship with a relaxed and sociable atmosphere, whilst playing music to an excellent standard. The band was conceived in 1977 when an oboist and a clarinettist from Hatfield College started a small band which rehearsed in rooms on Palace Green. The band’s repertoire is vast and varied, ranging from film scores and Broadway musicals, to contemporary and classical works. They clearly enjoy performing concerts in and around Durham and are heavily involved in the local community, having established links with the Durham County Wind Band. They are performing a piece by the esteemed Eric Whitacre as well as a piece by concert band extraordinaire Samuel Hazo. The band will also perform a fantastic arrangement of the Pirates of the Caribbean theme.

band-logo

Durham University Brass Band otherwise known as DUBB is a friendly, non-auditioned ensemble determined to show the university the true meaning of brass band-ing! they perform regularly in and around Durham for numerous yearly concerts and marches, last year they held a concert with the Reg Vardy band they also performed at the Durham Regatta prior to their tour of Belgium. DUBB has performed increasingly well at UniBrass in recent years moving from last place to seventh and to third in subsequent years, also picking up prizes for ‘Most Improved Band’ and ‘Best Student Composition’ along the way. They attribute their success to their belief that a band does not need to be auditioned, but simply committed, and for that reason, any player has a seat with us as long as they are committed! Brass Band will be performing a diverse programme including classic brass band marches, some Lady Gaga, reflective hymn tunes and show songs!

brass

Concert details:

the-band-of-the-royal-armed-corp-concert-7

Ticket price: Free! But in order to ensure that you have a seat you must reserve one via the music Durham website. https://www.musicdurham.org/event/marchingthetroop/

When: Wednesday the 16th of November. Doors open at 6:45pm for a 7pm start, finishes by 10pm.

Where: Elvet Methodist Church, 8 Old Elvet, Durham. DH1 3HL

Facebook event

Durham University Concert Band:

Twitter: @TheDUCB

Facebook : www.facebook.com/DUConcertBand

Website: www.concert-bandsociet.wixsite.com/ducb

Email: concert-band.society@durham.ac.uk

Rehearsal details: 2-4:30pm, Palace Green Music Department

Durham University Brass Band:

Twitter: @DUBrassBand

Facebook: www.facebook.com/DUBrassBand

Website: https://community.dur.ac.uk/brass.band/index.html

Email: brass.band@durham.ac.uk

Rehearsal details: 7-9:30pm, Palace Green Music Department

The Band of the Royal Armoured Corps:

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Bandoftheroyalarmouredcorps/

Website: http://www.army.mod.uk/music/23609.aspx

Email: bandrac-bm@mod.uk