The Bubble Playlist No. 15: James’ Summer Playlist

Before the rains battered the UK this month, some parts of the country saw temperatures reaching the dizzying heights of 18°C. That may seem like a distant memory now, so here is a (pre-summer) summer playlist of sing-along classics that will liven up any soggy camping trip, burnt-sausage barbeque or mud-encrusted festival.

Listen to them for yourself, and attempt to keep a brave face on as the rain patters against the window.

Mungo Jerry – In The Summertime

We kick things off with an absolute belter of a summer tune – it just wouldn’t be summer without the optimistic ‘in the summertime, when the weather is high/ You can reach right up and touch the sky’ as a thunderstorm rumbles ominously in the background.

Beach Boys – I Get Around

Probably the ultimate feel-good band, I defy anyone to listen to this song and not smile.

Jason Mraz – I’m Yours

Close your eyes and you could be in the sunny Caribbean, serenaded by whispering palm tree fronds and a Pina Colada in hand; not in a crumbling caravan in Scarborough, with wind rattling through the cracks in the door and a lukewarm Carling resting on the artificial heater.

Jack Johnson – Banana Pancakes

‘Can’t you see that’s it’s just raining -/ There ain’t no need to go outside’. Good – because it’s 4°C, and actually Jack, it’s hailing.

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince – Summertime

People forget that Will Smith had a music career as well as an acting career, and when you listen to this 90s classic, you will begin to wonder why. The song which is the musical equivalent of sunshine is sure to get you in the mood for your mouldy paddling pool with the patched-up puncture.

Noah and the Whale – 5 Years Time

Brilliantly simple lyrics (ably supported by Laura Marling’s backing vocals), and the perfect excuse to get your whistle on.

Gorillaz – 19–2000 (Soulchild Remix)

Very rarely do I say that a song is made better by a remix in the title (except maybe ‘Ignition (Remix)’ from R. Kelly), but in this case the infusion of fun that the Soulchild guys have planted in ‘19–2000’ makes it a great curveball choice for the summer party iPod playlist.

Deee-lite – Groove is in the Heart

Another 90s classic, and one that needs to be played at full volume in order to be fully appreciated.

Fatboy Slim (ft. Bootsy Collins) – The Joker

Chilled, mellow, contented – basically the opposite of Brighton beach whenever the sun emerges. You should check out the video as well, because if that doesn’t put a smile on your face, then you’re emotionally dead inside.

Maroon 5 – Sunday Morning

The perfect hangover song (because, let’s face it, you’ll have one after ‘washing down’ that charred Asda-value burger cooked on a disposable barbeque with beer), and one that is very similar in tone to ‘Banana Pancakes’ in that it involves staying inside because the weather’s rubbish. So let’s celebrate the Great British Summer with happy songs about rain; that sounds about right.