The Bubble Playlist No. 10: Winter

Winter – Joshua Radin

Joshua Radin is known for his dulcet, breathy tones and his skill with the guitar. His sound is reminiscent of Train’s, but is nowhere near as annoying. With this ballad, he offers a melancholic yet beautiful perspective on winter.

Surprise Ice – Kings of Convenience

This Norwegian duo is typically armed with acoustic guitars and intricate, calming melodies. On ‘Surprise Ice’, they stick to that very same formula. The consistency of the tune sends you into a bit of a lull, the kind that is perfect for staying warm indoors in front of a lit fireplace while it is bitingly cold outside.

White Winter Hymnal – Fleet Foxes

The song title says it all, really.

Blood Bank – Bon Iver

This is one of the more haunting offerings by Bon Iver, but that is why it is so fitting for those dark, cold winter afternoons.

Home – Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

This song is a reminder of all the comforts and memories that we associate with being home, surrounded by family and friends.

New York – Cat Power

It seems as though every single American Christmas film is set in New York. Cat Power’s cover of Frank Sinatra’s New York, New York is bluesy and dark, good enough for all of you Scrooges out there.

In the Waiting Line – Zero 7

After every hectic Christmas dinner and party, there’s the cleaning up to be done. While you do that, put this song on and all will be right in the world. At least for four-and-a-half minutes, it will.

Hoppípolla – Sigur Rós

The uplifting strings in this track combined with bell chimes and the simple melody just scream ‘winter’.

Auld Lang Syne – Artist Medley

Sara Bareilles, Butch Walker, Lenka, and many other contemporary singer-songwriters come together beautifully on this a cappella version of the New Year’s classic.

On A Winter’s Day – Foreign Beggars ft. Ravi Shakti

On this track, MC group Foreign Beggars interestingly sample Puerto Rican singer and guitarist Jose Feliciano’s version of the 1960s’ anthem “California Dreamin’”. The result is an incredible match between the Spanish guitar, hip-hop beats and a thought-provoking social commentary.

Night Air – Jamie Woon

Shortlisted for the BBC’s Sound of 2011, Jamie Woon’s lead single off of his album Mirrorwriting is filled with intense vocals and electronic lilts. The song rises and falls with Woon’s soulful control over his voice, as the syncopated beats add passion to what would otherwise be an empty and eerie tune.

By Marie Neirynck