Preview: 6 Music Festival

If you think about it, its quite a big deal the 6 Music festival coming to this region. Its only in it’s second year and the first one was held in Manchester (the musical capital of the North?). So surely this is a huge vote of confidence by 6 Music here.

For those who don’t know about the festival, its a bit like like R1’s Big Weekend, but only better! 6 Music has seen a remarkable surge in popularity since it was almost threatened with the axe in 2010. Since then it’s listening figures have steadily increased, with just a few weeks ago it being reported that 6 Music had hit 2 million weekly listeners, eclipsing radio 3, and reaching unprecedented heights for a digital only radio station. It features and has featured in the past shows by Iggy Pop, Guy Garvey and Jarvis Cocker, as well as the staples: Lauren Laverne, Craig Charles and Steve Lamacq. It’s presenters and producers receive unrivalled freedom in what they play. In my opinion it is the greatest radio station of them all.

The first 6 Music festival was held last year in Manchester and featured names such as the National, James Blake, Haim and Kelis. Surely this year’s can’t compete with that?….

well…..

Mogwai, The War on Drugs, Jamie T, Neneh Cherry, Jon Hopkins, Father John Misty, Gruff Rhys, Hot Chip, Jamie xx, Four Tet, Sleater-Kinney, Kate Tempest, Interpol, Royal Blood, Maximo Park, Young Fathers, The Fall, Wire, Public Service Broadcasting, Villagers, Jungle, The Cribs, The Charlatans, Django Django, The Maccabees, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, and many more would beg to differ (or not depending on their modesty…)

The festival is spread across 4 main events, and starts this Friday, ending on Sunday. (three whole days of fun and sun on tyneside, minus the sun…)

Friday night at the O2 Academy in Newcastle features the stellar line up: Interpol, Sleater-Kinney, The War on Drugs, and Mogwai. The anticipation is huge and what an incredible way to kick off the festival.

Saturday night at the Sage brings performances by Welsh singer-songwriter Gruff Rhys, London electronic pop superstars Hot Chip (with bags full of new exciting material), Spoken word mistress Kate Tempest and 2014 break out giants Royal Blood. Other personal highlights include Father John Misty (who for sure will provide a surreal performance not to be missed, see his Letterman performance for example), Django Django (Dance-y rhythm geniuses) and alternative rock seminal The Fall.

Saturday late at the Boiler Shop teams Jamie xx in a line up with Four Tet for a night of electronic dance music never to forget. 6 Music DJs Giles Peterson and Mary Ann Hobbs will also join in on the action.

Sunday night at the Sage brings the return of Jamie T, of the Charlatans and of Wire. The ever relevant Neneh Cherry will be there, as well as this year’s Mercury prize winners Young Fathers. Public Service Broadcasting and Jon Hopkins will no doubt bring the party to the close of the festival. And who could forget the Maccabees? or Unknown Mortal Orchestra? or British Sea Power? or King Creosote?……

(For the Full Line Up see the bottom of the page)

Oh and there there’s some stuff going on during the days. 6 Music presenters will be talking to a load of people, like John Cooper Clarke, Bryan Ferry, artists performing, artist not performing. I even think the team from Viz will be there…(details: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1bJ9sGJgqCSwRpPsm412RvS/6-music-by-day-saturday)

But wait, I haven’t got a ticket!

Well I have, so what’s the problem?….(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoXfiSU_wqE)

…..Well actually you can watch it at home….

The BBC are putting the videos from the concert online, on iPlayer and the 6 Music website, as well having a live blog, broadcasting live on the radio (6 Music obviously) and give you access through the red button (seemingly for those of you either living in the 20th century or too lazy to get off the sofa).

Details of the Red Button schedule are as follows:

Friday 20 February – 10.30pm – 6 Music Festival Preview

Saturday 21 February – 9.10pm – Mogwai & Interpol

Sunday 22 February – 10.00pm – Royal Blood & Jungle

Monday 23 February – 7.30pm – Charlatans & Hot Chip

Tuesday 24 February – 10.30pm – Jamie T & Kate Tempest

Wednesday 25 February – 7.30pm – Neneh Cherry & Sleater-Kinney

Thursday 26 February – 7.30pm – Maximo Park & Jon Hopkins

Friday 27 February – 9.30pm – Gaz Coombes & Gruff Rhys

Saturday 28 February – 10.00pm – The Fall & Wire

So there you go, huge news for the region and a bit of brilliant music for weekend…

Hot Chip – Over and Over

***********************************************************************************************

Here’s the Line Up you were after!

Friday Night at the O2 Academy, Newcastle

Mogwai

Interpol

Sleater-Kinney

The War on Drugs

Saturday at the Sage, Gateshead

Gruff Rhys

Jungle

Simian Mobile Disco

Villagers

Kate Tempest and Eliza McCarthy

Hot Chip

Royal Blood

Kate Tempest

The Fall

Maximo Park

The Cribs

Django Django

Ibibio Sound Machine

Father John Misty

Ghostpoet

Cragi Charles

Stuart Maconie

Ady Croasdell

Richard Searling

Saturday Late at the Boiler Shop

Jamie xx

Four Tet

Giles Peterson

Mary Ann Hobbs

Sunday night at the Sage, Gateshead

Jon Hopkins

Public Service Broadcasting

Young Fathers

Wire

King Creosote

The Charlatans

Jamie T

Neneh Cherry

Gaz Coombes

British Sea Power

Maccabees

Teleman

Glass Animals

LoneLady

Unknown Mortal Orchestra

Nemone

Rob Da Bank

DJ Yoda

Richy Ahmed

Daniel Avery