DUCB Presents: A Winter Wonderland

Join Durham University Concert Band for A Winter Wonderland, a fantastic night of music to showcase the work of the ensemble so far this year. Concert Band will be performing a varied repertoire featuring film music, some traditional concert band pieces, and a few festive numbers. Please join us for a delightful winter evening of music.

The Band will be preforming the following pieces:

Ride : This thrilling piece is by the American composer Samuel Hazo who primarily writes concert band music, two of his compositions were featured at the London Summer Olympic Games. It would be sinful for concert bands to not have Hazo’s pieces in their library! He became the first composer in history to be awarded the winner of the two composition contests sponsored by the prestigious national band association.

Palladio: The title of this Piece does indeed relate to the 16th century Italian architect Andrea Palladio, the composition was written by Sir Karl Jenkins a Welshman famed for writing ‘Adiemus’ and ‘Requiem’.  Jenkins is said to have based this piece on Palladio’s “harmonious mathematical principles”. Evidently this piece is being performed by a concert band the piece was however originally written for a string orchestra. As with many of Jenkins’ compositions this piece is notable due its use in numerous television adverts.

See if you can name any adverts that have use this composition!

Pirates of the Caribbean: This piece needs little introduction! The movie franchise has embedded itself in history each film grossing over $600 million the trend sets to continue as filming for the fifth instalment is nearly ending. There is one man that is now synonymously associated with the success of Disney’s music scores. Hans Zimmer. Having said that, Eric Whitacre the composer of Cloudburst had a hand in the music for the most recent movie.

Hans Zimmer has been aptly rewarded, he has been the recipient of four Grammy awards and an Academy award. The piece being played on the night is mainly written by Klaus Badelt, A German film composer who frequently collaborates with Zimmer, he wrote the music for the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics.

Cloudburst: At the age of 22 Eric Whitacre wrote this piece for an eight-part choir however a concert band version was commissioned for the Indiana All-State Band and was subsequently released in 2001. Despite not being able to read music, the composer started his full musical training whilst he was an undergraduate. Whitacre’s first album won a Grammy award he was both the Composer and conductor, he is also known for his virtual choir’s project and recently addressed the U.N. Leaders program to discuss it. He remains best known for his choral works. 

The above pieces have been tried and tested, they went down a treat for those who attended ‘Trooping The Colour’ Concert Bands concert with The Band of the Royal Armoured Corps at Elvet Methodists Church. With Christmas being just around the corner Concert Band have thrown in a few Classics they will perform ‘Christmas Bells’. They will also be performing two songs by the great American composer Leroy Anderson. Evan Penn will conduct A Christmas Festival which is a compilation of various popular Christmas songs Whereas Laura Scott will end the night by conducting “Sleigh Bells”.

We hope to see you on the 6th of December festive refreshments will of course be provided!

DUCB Profile: Durham University Concert Band is a non-auditioning ensemble open to all brass, woodwind and percussion players. Its aim is to create a relaxed and informal atmosphere where everyone feels welcome, while at the same time as playing music to an excellent standard. The conductors always seek to choose music which is both accessible and musically challenging, and the band’s repertoire is vast and varied – last year this included film scores, Broadway musicals, full concert band suites, contemporary compositions and classical works.

The band rehearses weekly on Sunday afternoons and usually performs at least three concerts per year. In recent years, DUCB have also developed links within the local community and now hope to run an annual outreach event working with children from local primary schools. They also hold frequent socials throughout the year, which in the past have included everything from band meals and bar crawls to summer ice-creams by the river.

Concert details:

Ticket price:

Standard £5

Concessions £4

Music Durham members: £3.50

Tickets can be purchased from the Music Durham website, tickets will also be available on the door https://www.musicdurham.org/event/awinterwonderland/

When: Tuesday the 6th  of December. Doors open at 6:45pm for a 7pm start, finishes by 9:30pm.

Where: St. Oswalds Church , Church Street , Durham. DH1 3DQ

Facebook event

Durham University Concert Band:

Twitter: @TheDUCB

Facebook : www.facebook.com/DUConcertBand

Website: www.concert-bandsociet.wixsite.com/ducb

Email: concert-band.society@durham.ac.uk

Rehearsal details: 2-4:30pm, Palace Green Music Department