A few words with – Georgie.

I caught up with Georgie a budding artist from Nottingham who recently released her first single ‘Company of Thieves’. I also caught her supporting slot for Blossoms at Empire in Middlesbrough. She showed a lot of promise her band were very tight and she had a solid set of songs. Personally speaking I felt that her debut single was one of the weaker songs but it provided a good end to her set. Read on to find out more about the young songstress.

Bubble: How are you and how is the tour with Blossoms going?

Georgie: Great really pleased to be on tour with them it’s really exciting it’s a good way to end the year.

Bubble: How did you arrange the slot supporting Bugg

Georgie: I did a show with Jake Bugg in march and they were also on the bill, so we sort of met through that and they were also on the tour with Jake in Europe

Bubble: How was the tour?

Georgie: Amazing, Jake is amazing.

Bubble: Did you form a good musical relationship?

Georgie:  I played 4 dates in London with him in March and Bugg kind of just invited me back on tour, we have the same management so it kind of worked out well!

Bubble: How is your management team?

Georgie: I signed with Sony/Columbia a year ago, everyone is one the same page and everyone’s allowing me to express myself how I want to…

They’re letting me express myself as a musician. The management team are very helpful and very music orientated  I wouldn’t want to be working with another team really!

Bubble:  How did you get into music?

Georgie: When I was 14, I got my first guitar and I kind of wrote my first song in that first week, after that I just started giving every night in Nottingham trying to get my name out there. I think I did about 200 shows before I got signed really  – I was just writing in my room most nights, but you know I enjoy it so I can’t really call it work.

Bubble: What do you have planned next?

Georgie: More tours are being planned and there’s a headline tour in march, my first headline tour with this band  so that’s gonna be fun. I’m releasing some more singles and the album next year.

Bubble: How far into the album process are you?

Georgie: The albums pretty much written but I’m still writing songs , so recording it really is the next step

Bubble: How and when do you write songs? Do you sit down and dedicate time to just writing songs and doing nothing but that?

Georgie: When you’re on tour it’s hard to find that time write but I’ve started taking my little keyboard and guitar to write but sometimes there may be no songs… but other times I might get a great tune or two songs

You just have to keep doing what you’re doing and strengthening what you’re doing and if you’re passionate about something then it’ll naturally happen! 

Bubble: How did ‘Company of Thieves’ come about?

Georgie: The lyrics were always something I wanted to write about I thought it was something important to write about, I’m sure that the lyrics are quite relatable to a lot of people

They were kind of going in my head for a while but it took a while to find the right sound and to write music to match the lyrics

Bubble: Can we expect old songs that you used to play when you used to gig solely in Nottingham?

Georgie: There will be a few old tunes on the album, they’re songs that are kind of special to be but I don’t know how they’ll be sonically. The more songs you do the more you mature musically I guess.

Bubble: Who do you take inspiration from?

Georgie: Stevie nicks, Jake bugg, they’re kind of both inspiring as are Carole King, Janis Joplin – those strong women from that era .

Bubble: Tapestry is a wonderful album it’s right up there

Georgie: Tapestry is just a beautiful album you can’t pick out anything wrong

Bubble: You mentioned those strong women, in what way do they inspire you?

Georgie: Musically they were so amazing, what they were saying in those songs they’re quite hard to find now, Amy Winehouse was the last one to do it. Christine and the queens are pretty good.

My mum can’t sing but she knows a good tune or two, it made me realise what I felt music should be like.

Bubble: Do you have a name for the album?

Georgie: The album will be self titled or the name of the song but it could change in 6/8 months

Bubble: What are your thoughts on Spotify?

Georgie: Its got its pros and cons, as is the way of life! It’s great to discover people, but there’s still a long way to go to sort out artists pay

Bubble: how did you come about Carole King?

Georgie: My mum bought me up on a lot of old tunes like Simon and Garfunkel, Arethra Franklin my manager also introduced me to other similar artists. My mum can’t sing but she knows a good tune or two, it made me realise what I felt music should be like.

Being able to write songs is a gift and it’s a songwriters duty to make people feel emotions.

http://georgieofficial.co.uk 

https://twitter.com/officialgeorgie

https://facebook.com/officialgeorgie

https://instagram.com/officialgeorgie