The Bubble’s Creative Competition Winners

The winning entry for the visual category: Mimika Papakosta – Messolonghi Lagoon

Though the Oscars may have been announced last night, there was also excitement buzzing in Fishtank as the winners of The Bubble’s Creative Competition were revealed at the Django Reinhardt Memorial Lock-in.

A big thank you goes out to Nick and Carlo from Empty Shop, and Dr Simon James from the English department who kindly judged the competition.

The winners of the first ever Bubble Creative Competition in association with the Durham Lock-in are as follows:

VISUAL

1st Place – Mimika Papakosta

2nd Place – James Fraser

3rd Place – Emma Proudlock

WRITTEN

1st Place – Ralf Webb

2nd Place – Crystal Shi

3rd Place – Josie Waller

Here are the statements from the judges:

“The best pieces of work submitted for this competition – different as these were – showed technique without forcing rhyme or metre, wit without flippancy, and complexity without opacity; and were affecting without being naive, literate without being florid, and mature without being pretentious. The winner – Ralf Webb, Alleyway. Congratulations.”

– Dr Simon James, Durham University English Department

“We were delighted to be asked to judge a competition that is representative of what is obviously a thriving creative community at Durham Uni. The selection was tough to make but we feel the three pieces we have selected reflect the range of technical and artistic abilities on show throughout the submissions.”

– Carlo and Nick, Empty Shop CIC

Thanks to everyone who participated in the competition, you made it a tough decision!

We’ll be featuring work entered into the competition on The Bubble in the following weeks.

Don’t forget to mark your calendars for the next instalment of the Creative Competition – ‘Durham Unplugged’ on March 6th at Whiskey River. For more details check out the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/events/152257971558289/