T is for Time

“Time is universal, but the ways it is used are individual.”

December 20th.

The first week of the holidays seemed very long. Time dragged on for so much that an hour felt like a day, a day felt like a week, and the week felt like a month. Since I felt like I had a lot of time on my hands, I was busy making plans. I told myself that I would be more productive this holiday and that I would actually do something. It was as if I had all the time in the world. Four weeks wouldn’t pass that quickly, would they?

It was only like that for the first week – the days dragged on and on and on – after that, everything went by pretty quickly. Far too quickly, to be perfectly honest. The first week ended, the second began, the third happened to appear out of nowhere and before I knew it the next day was the start of the new term. My, was I ready for it.

And so it has been like that with the first week of the new term. At first the days seemed long, then the week drew to a close and I realized just how quickly everything was happening. True, we are only in week 2 of the term. When you think about the fact that there are only 9 weeks in the term, well. That makes you think a lot.

Time, is, as one fictional character in a famous sitcom may put it, a heartless bitch. There is never enough of it when you need it and when you don’t need it you have it in so much abundance that you lull yourself into thinking that you do have all the time in the world. Of course, that’s just your own imagination. Everyone is just wallowing in time’s quicksand – sooner or later it’s going to disappear, with you as well. It will eventually slip through your hands, leaving you slightly confused, lost, and wondering where the hell it all went.

I suppose you should know when and how to use your time wisely. Especially at our age, when it’s supposed to be the best time of our lives. Do this, people say, do that, others add on. Do everything you should be doing but don’t forget to leave some space for the things you want to do – this particular time in your life is never going to come back. These are words that I hear from so many people – relatives, older friends, random famous people on TV, the list is endless. Carpe diem, they say. Seize the day, they say.

I do appreciate those words. People only say that because they regret not doing so many things when they could. I just don’t think that it should be something that everyone says to everyone all the time. Yes, I am young. Yes, I probably do have a lot of time in my life. Yes, I presumably will have various opportunities in front of me that I have to grab at the right time. Does that mean I have to listen to people telling me that, if I’m not doing any of the things they tell me to do, that I am not being a good person or that I’m not spending my time wisely? Do I have to doubt myself and the decisions that I make simply because other people don’t think that this is how I should be utilising my time?

Conventions don’t always work for everyone. People can use time in his or her own way. It’s the way that people tend to dismiss things that they do not understand or, rather, care to know about. Time is universal, but the ways it is used are individual. Sometimes people don’t understand that.