SCA: Post-Exam Volunteering

The lengths people will go to for sand, sea and ice cream…

With exams finally over, SCA week arrived at Queens Campus and then moved on to Durham to provide students with some worthwhile activities to fill the hours of free time. This year, several taster sessions ran during the two-week period to give potential volunteers a taste of what each project entailed.

Sessions were on offer at:

• Keenan House – running activities for the children of international students, in order to improve their language skills.
  • Allison House – befriending the residents, many of whom suffer with mental health problems.
  • St Cuthbert’s Hospice – helping in any way possible such as looking after patients, working in the shop or maintaining the grounds.
  • Rochester Court – meeting the elderly residents and helping out where needed.
  • Darlington Dogs Trust – taking abandoned dogs for walks and giving them some care and attention.
  • Seaham project – taking children in contact with social services on daytrips, to provide opportunities otherwise not available to them.
  • Thurston Project – running drama, dance and music sessions in Bowburn, leading up to hugely successful, biannual stage shows.

All taster sessions were extremely popular and will provide a great base of volunteers for next year.

Arguably the highlight of the week however, was the annual trip to the beach. Volunteers from Durham, along with the SCA office staff headed over to Crimdon beach to give the beach a good clean up. This day trip was a great way to get out of Durham for a few hours and see some of the beautiful surroundings, whilst spending the day out in the fresh air meeting new people.

After a few hours of litter picking, everyone was free to relax on the beach and whilst some dared to dip their toes in the North Sea, nobody was too keen on heading out for a swim.

If you want to find out more about any of the volunteering opportunities mentioned above, email community.action@dur.ac.uk or come into the office for a chat on level A of the DSU (Durham) or room D215, Ebsworth building (Stockton).