SCA: A Typical Busy Week

Only a few weeks into term and things are really getting going at Student Community Action. Projects are getting going, volunteers are being trained up, events are being organised and everyone is working hard to fit in as much volunteering and as little work as possible.

But SCA is about so much more than just volunteering. It is a way to learn new skills, meet new people and have a great time all at the same time.

Here is just a selection of what’s been going on over the last week:

Monday : Volunteers from many of our kids projects received Behaviour management training from new Collingwood principal Joe Elliott, Durham’s very own expert in child development, learning and behaviour. As with all the sessions we have done with Joe in the past, volunteers were both shocked and inspired by some of his experience in this field. The session was enjoyed by all and we are hugely grateful to Joe for his valuable insight.

Tuesday : Applications opened for a new joint DUCK/SCA committee. We are looking for organised, passionate people to arrange activities for students and community members whilst raising funds. This is really exciting new venture between two organisations with a great history of cooperation. Interested applicants should contact Lizzy Nay to explain what you feel you can bring to the committee (e.f.nay@dur.ac.uk).

Wednesday : As part of Environment Week, SCA ran a litterpick in Durham city. This one-off event was well attended and hugely successful. Everyone that took part put in a huge amount of effort and they were all treated to refreshments afterwards.

Thursday : One of SCA’s most intensive projects, Children Achieving Through Student Support (see previous article to find out more about CATSS) held its information evening for potential applicants. Applications opened immediately afterwards. Also on Thursday, we held our SCA Welcome Drinks in Boathouse. It was a fantastic night where all of this year’s new volunteers got to know each other whilst enjoying Boathouse’s 3 for £6 offer!

Friday : The hugely popular Thurston project takes place every Friday night at Bowburn Community Centre. Volunteers lead drama, dance and music workshops for local children. This terms workshops will culminate in a spectacular stage show in December. If you would like to get involved in this project email thurston.sca@dur.ac.uk (volunteers are needed for backstage work aswell!)

At the weekend things are hardly slowing down with Make a Difference Day this Saturday. This is a national initiative providing thousands of people across the country with the opportunity to try out volunteering. In Durham we are planting 1000 new plants in local St. Cuthbert’s hospice.

As always, if you want to get involved email community.action@dur.ac.uk or pop into the Durham office Monday – Friday, 10 – 4.30pm (Level A DSU) or the Queen’s office Monday – Wednesday, 10 – 4.30pm (Room D215 Ebsworth Building).